Mt. Lowe Tram Rubio Pavilion ~ Altadena, California


Photo: Present
August 2015.
Photo: Past
August 1905.

At night the canyon above the Pavilion was turned into a fairyland by more than 2,000 illuminated Japanese lanterns. Everyone agreed that Professor Lowe had overlooked no detail nor spared any expense to make the grand opening a memorial event. Then, all of a sudden there it was: The elegant Rubio Pavilion and the Incline Station surrounded by a forest garden of sycamore, live oak, and ferns.


Built on three floors, one atop the other, the structure seemed just to hang there, spanning the narrow gorge directly above the clouds! In less than an hour’s ride from downtown Pasadena, it was possible to ascend from the orange groves to the heart of Rubio Canyon and enjoy a delightful, delicious lunch in the dining room of the Rubio Hotel, which could accommodate approximately 80 diners. The windows looked down Rubio Canyon, but due to tortuous twists and turns, the valley below was not visible.


Photo:  Abandoned wheel barrow on Rubio Canyon trail overlooking the Los Angeles basin.

ADDRESS: 1351 Pleasantridge Altadena, California.



Devil’s Gate Dam ~ Pasadena, Califonia

11925953_10206477443911544_1417166095_n 11880845_10206477492672763_843418597_n

Photo: Past
August 1888.
Photo: Present
August 2015.

The Devil’s Gate Dam was the first flood control dam in Los Angeles County. Built in 1920, the dam is located at he narrowest spot in the Arroyo Seco. In the section where they wanted to construct the dam, there was a rock formation that resembled the profile of a devil, hence the naming of the dam as the Devil’s Gate.

PHOTO: How many faces can you see in the walls of the Devil’s Gate Dam?

There are so many urban legends about this area that it is hard to know where to begin. The main urban legend claims that this area, which some call the Arroyo triangle because it includes Devil’s Gate Dam, Suicide Bridge & the Cobb Estate, is one of the seven portals to Hell. There are claims that the Native Americans even believed this was a gateway to the afterlife and they avoid this area


Then there are themysterious disappearances and murders of children, the majority are unsolved, who were hiking, camping or riding their bikes through the area. Others claim that the portal to hell opened when Jack Parsons came into the picture in the 1940s. Jack Parsons, a rocket scientist who co-founded the Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL, located just north of the dam), was an infamous occultist with ties to Aleister Crowley and fellow occultist (and Scientology founder) L. Ron Hubbard.


On the Dam with JPL to the North. Together, Parsons, Crowley and Hubbard believed that the Devil’s Gate area held great magical power and energy that could increase their own powers. Many believe this is why Parsons chose this area as the location for JPL.


It was the perfect place for these three men to conduct their magical rituals and work on their project that was referred to as “Babylon Working,” a summoning of the entity known as Babylon that would aid them in the creation of an “anti-Christ,” a child who would eventually destroy mankind.

ADDRESS: 4331 Oak Grove, Pasadena, Califonia